- In FDD, the DL and UL Radio Frames (RFs) are not on the same carrier.
- The RF frame is called Type 1 by the 3GPP.
- The RF length is 10 ms.
- The radio frame is made up of 10 sub-frames of 1 ms.
- Each sub-frame is made up of 2 slots of 0.5ms.
A Frame structure type 2 is also defined and is applicable to TDD
- 7 symbols in case of normal CP (guard time between symbols)
Tcp = Cyclic Prefix duration
Tecp = Extended Cyclic Prefix duration
- The frame structure for the type 2 frames used on LTE TDD is somewhat different.
- The 10 ms frame comprises two half frames, each 5 ms long.
- The LTE half-frames are further split into five sub frames, each 1ms long.
The special subframes consist of three fields:
- DwPTS – Downlink Pilot Time Slot
- GP – Guard Period
- UpPTS – Uplink Pilot Time Stot.