Here I write about selection of new site in rf planning, how step by step any new site planned is as per below.
Prepare Initial Search Ring
- Note the latitude and longitude from planning tool.
- Get the address of the area from mapping software.
- Release the search ring with details like radius of search ring, height of antenna etc.
Release search rings to project management
Visit friendly site locations
- If there are friendly sites available that can be used (infrastructure sharing), then these sites are to be given preference.
- If these sites suite the design requirements, then visit these sites first.
Select Initial Anchor Sites
- Initial anchor sites are the sites which are very important for the network buildup, Eg – Sites that will also work as a BSC.
Enter Data In Propagation Tool
- Enter the sites exact location in the planning tool.
Perform Propagation Analysis
- Now since the site has been selected and the lat/lon of the actual site (which will be different from the designed site) is known, put this site in the planning tool and predict coverage.
- Check to see that the coverage objectives are met as per prediction.
Reset / Review Search Rings
- If the prediction shows a coverage hole (as the actual site may be shifted from the designed site), the surrounding search rings can be resetted and reviewed.
Candidate site Visit( Average 3 per ring)
- For each proposed location, surveys should be carried out and at least 3 suitable site candidates identified.
- Details of each candidate should be recorded on a copy of the Site Proposal Form for that site. Details must include:
- Site name and option letter Site location (Lat./Long)
- Building Height
- Site address and contact number
- Height of surrounding clutter
- Details of potential coverage effecting obstructions or other comments (A, B, C…)
Drive Test And Review Best Candidate
- In order to verify that a candidate site, selected based on its predicted coverage area, is actually covering all objective areas, drive test has to be performed.
- Drive test also points to potential interference problems or handover problems for the site.
- The test transmitter has to be placed at the selected location with all parameters that have been determined based on simulations.
- Drive test all major roads and critical areas like convention centers, major business areas, roads etc.
- Take a plot of the data and check for sufficient signal strength, sufficient overlaps and splashes (least interference to other cells).
Drive Test Integration
- The data obtained from the drive test has to be loaded on the planning tool and overlapped with the prediction. This gives a idea of how close the prediction and actual drive test data match.
- If they do not match (say 80 to 90 %) then for that site the model may need tuning.
Visit Site With All Disciplines( SA, Power, Civil etc )
- A meeting at the selected site takes place in which all concerned departments like RF Engineering, Site acquisition, Power, Civil Engineer, Civil contractor and the site owner is present.
- Any objections are taken care off at this point itself.